Sorted FAQ

If you’re new to Sorted, here is a list of questions that freelancers often ask us when getting started

Getting started with Sorted

Is Sorted for me?

Sorted covers the entire tax needs for the vast majority of the freelancers and self-employed professionals. Check out our FAQ section on does Sorted support my specific case for more information.

How much does Sorted cost?

You can register as a freelancer, do your bookkeeping and submit your yearly tax reports for free with Sorted. Once you start earning above a certain amount or have clients in the European Union (EU), you will need to submit a monthly or quarterly VAT declaration. This could be done with the Sorted Pro plan. Check out our pricing page for more details.

How do I prepare my tax reports with Sorted?

Your tax reports are automatically prepared by Sorted based on the income and expenses you enter. The only exception to this is your personal income tax return, which requires a few more details to complete the report, such as your health insurance or pension contributions.

Who submits my tax reports to the tax office (Finanzamt)?

You submit your tax reports electronically to the Finanzamt through Sorted. Sorted is connected directly to the Finanzamt through their official software provider, ELSTER.

How long does it take for my tax reports to arrive in the tax office (Finanzamt)?

After you submit your tax reports, you will immediately receive a document confirming that the reports have arrived at the Finanzamt. However, it may take a while before the Finanzamt reviews your tax reports and sends you a tax assessment via post.

Do I need to have an ELSTER account to submit my tax reports?

No, you can submit all your tax reports directly from Sorted. No ELSTER account or certificate needed. Sorted takes care of connecting to the Finanzamt through ELSTER.

Does Sorted support my specific case?

I am working with clients outside of Germany

It is very common for freelancers on Sorted to have clients outside of Germany. When adding your income on Sorted, you will be guided through any additional information you need to provide for clients outside of Germany.

I have clients on the freelancers’ platform Upwork

Many freelancers on Sorted work with Upwork. Sorted will guide you through declaring the income from Upwork. Check out our tax guide on how to make sure you are invoicing your clients correctly through Upwork and whether or not you should apply for a VAT ID to work on Upwork.

I have additional income as an employee

Being an employee and freelancing at the same time is common on Sorted. When preparing your income tax return, you will be able to add your annual payslips (Lohnsteuerbescheinigung) to declare your additional income from salary.

I am married or have children

That’s not a problem, your dedicated tax firm on Sorted can help you to prepare the income tax return for you and your partner, and ensure that you are getting all tax benefits that you are entitled to as a family.

I sell goods as a sole-trader

That’s not a problem, you can submit all your tax reports as a sole-trader with Sorted. Your dedicated tax firm on Sorted can help you to prepare the annual trade tax return at an additional charge.

I have income from another country

If you had income while living outside of Germany, or have investments in another country, that’s not a problem. Many countries have tax treaties with Germany so that you don’t have to pay double the taxes. While Sorted takes care of all your German based income, your dedicated tax firm on Sorted can help you declare any income that you earned outside of Germany at an additional charge. However, you may still need to separately declare your taxes in the country where you earned the income.

I am the owner of a UG or GmbH

Unfortunately, Sorted does not support UG or GmbH companies at the moment. We only support freelancers and self-employed professionals. It is our mission to support more business owners in the future, so stay tuned for updates.

Tax consultants on Sorted

How can I meet my tax consultant on Sorted?

After you sign up to Sorted, we will automatically pair you with your dedicated tax firm. Your dedicated tax firm will support you on-demand, whenever you need additional guidance or reports for your specific case.

What are the prices for tax services?

The prices for tax services are set by the tax firms themselves, so may vary slightly between one tax firm to another. We encourage the tax firms to set their prices according to the market standards. Sign up to Sorted to find out the prices for your dedicated tax firm.

I need to renew my freelancer Visa, can I request a net profit determination signed by a tax advisor?

Getting a certified net profit determination for Visa extension is a common request on Sorted. All you need to do is record your income and expenses on Sorted and request a certified profit and loss statement from your dedicated tax firm.

Are the tax consultants on Sorted certified?

Every tax firm who offers their services on the Sorted platform has been verified by Sorted. We ensure that they employ certified tax consultants according to the tax advisory act (StBerG).

Can I choose my dedicated tax firm on Sorted?

Sorted will automatically pair you with your dedicated tax firm once you sign up. This way we can ensure that your dedicated tax firm is not overbooked and can provide high-quality tax service.

What if I am not happy with the service I am getting from my dedicated tax firm?

If for any reason you believe that you did not get a satisfactory service from your dedicated tax firm, we will offer you to switch to a new tax firm. We will happily refund you if the service was not provided as expected.

Becoming a freelancer with Sorted

How much does it cost to register with the Finanzamt as a freelancer?

Both preparing and submitting the form is free of charge.

How long would it take to receive my tax number?

After submitting the form you will receive your tax number from the Finanzamt via post. It usually takes 3-6 weeks to arrive.

I need to apply for a VAT ID, can I do it with Sorted?

Sure, when filling the tax registration form, you can select whether you want to apply for a VAT ID.

I want to register as a sole-trader, can I do it with Sorted?

Sure, when filling the tax registration form, you will be able to enter your expected profit from selling goods. In addition to registering as a self-employed, you would also need to obtain a business license (Gewerbeschein) from you local trade office (Gewerbeamt).

Can I get my tax registration form reviewed by a certified tax consultant?

Absolutely, just fill in the form as best as you can and request a review from your dedicated tax firm on Sorted.

Ready to prepare your taxes with confidence?